Friday, September 7, 2012

The Best Homemade Cleaner Ever - Shower & Tub


 
It all started with a casual glance. I saw it and I thought “This is not right!” It was soap scum on MY shower doors. Lord have mercy, can’t have that!

In keeping with my fairly recent decision to make my own cleaners, I sat in front my computer on a quest for the best of the best homemade soap scum removers.

I found what seemed like a bazillion of them. I settled for three different recipes and after a small try of each, I quickly determined the best one for me. You see, I am not a scrubber. I like the product to do the work, not me. Ok, I will do it, but to work hard enough to break a sweat while cleaning the bathroom is  definitely not me.


http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275
I would like to give credit where credit is due. This is not my recipe and most recipes seem to lead back to Food.com http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275).  The source, Bobbin, says  “This shower cleaner came from an Everyday Cheapskate e-mail, and it is truly magic, as the title states. I just tried it and it got the soap scum off my glass shower door with hardly any scrubbing. It was amazing, as I have tried to clean that door with various products. It is so easy, too. Try it and you will be sold. Be careful because a little bit goes a long way. You need a 24-oz. squirt bottle for this.”
 
The recipe I chose melted the soap scum like butter. It was so easy to clean. I did have to do a little work, but I never broke a sweat and it was so quick, I hardly noticed I was cleaning.
 
I ended up spraying the entire shower, including the tub. It was awesome, admittedly I was a little excited and proud of myself for finding such a wonder cleaner. About the same as when I made the grease cutter recipe, which I will share later.

So here is The Lazy Housekeeper’s Guide To  A Clean Shower & Tub:

1.   Gather the ingredients:
a.       2 cups White Vinegar
b.      1 cup Dawn dishwashing liquid*
*(The original recipe calls for equal parts vinegar and Dawn. I use power Dawn, so I cut it back, also it’s a lot less slippery.)
c.       Empty clean spray bottle
d.      Funnel

2.  Make The Lazy Housekeeper’s Shower & Tub Cleaner:
a.       Heat the vinegar until it is hot. I used the microwave.
b.      Pour the hot vinegar into the spray bottle.
c.       Add the Dawn to the vinegar in the bottle.
d.      Shake gently until the ingredients are mixed.     






3.       Gather your tools.
*Ok, so you don’t need the scrubber and mitt, but this is
The Lazy Housekeeper’s way…
a.       Scrubber (this is required if you are under 5’2”, it helps reach the entire shower wall and also helps with the tub so you don’t have scrub on your knees.)
b.      Loofah mitt (it scrubs on one side, polishes on the other. Ok, it’s not what it’s designed for but works for me!)

c.       The Lazy Housekeeper’s Shower & Tub Cleaner.






4.       Get  Cleaning!
a.       Spray everything, including the faucets, showerhead, everything
*Be prepared for the smell, vinegar has a very, ummm, strong smell.
b.      Go get something to drink, you’ve work hard relax for a little bit, have a cookie…
c.       Take a shower. Ok, this is what I do. I get in the shower, put on the mitt using the scrubber side for the tough stuff and the soft side for the spout and nozzles. I use the extended handle scrubber for the places that are out of my reach and the sides of the tub.
d.      Wash it all down. This is where the hand held shower sprayer comes in very handy. Just rinse it all off.
e.      Take a shower! Wash off all that hard work.

5.       Spray the shower with The Lazy Housekeeper’s Daily Shower Cleaner. Recipe on the next installment of…

 The Lazy Housekeeper's Guide To Gettin' It Done
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment